In essence, Shaolin kung fu is about maintaining a body and mind capable of living life to the utmost with the maximum enjoyment and personal security. Here are the top 10 tips to remaining in peak health throughout life offered by Shifu Yan Lei, a renowned Shaolin teacher and author of Instant Health: The Shaolin Qigong Workout for Longevity.
1. Don’t think too much. Thinking takes energy. Thinking can make you look old.
2. Don’t talk too much. Most people either talk. Better to do.
3. When you work, work for 40 minutes then stop for 10 minutes. When you look at something all the time, it can damage your eyes and also your internal organs and peace.
4. When you are happy, you need to control your happiness; if you lose control then you damage your lung energy.
5. Don’t worry too much or get angry because this damages your liver and your intestines.
6. When you eat food don’t eat too much; always make sure you are not quite full as this can damage your spleen. When you feel a bit hungry then eat a little.
7. When you do things, take your time, don’t hurry too much. Remember the saying “Hasten slowly; you will soon arrive.”
8. If you only do physical exercise all the time and you never do qigong this makes you lose your balance and you will become impatient. You lose the yin of your body. Exercise balances the yin and the yang.
9. If you never exercise, just peace, meditation, soft training, qigong then this doesn’t give you yang energy so you use up your yang energy.
10. Shaolin kung fu gives you everything. The purpose of our training is to balance yin and yang. How many hours is not important. It’s down to knowing what your body needs.