This remarkable water therapy originates from ancient Ayurvedic medicine. The Sages of India termed this therapy, Usha Paana Chikitsa, which from the Sanskrit, roughly translates to, “early morning water treatment.” It has long been known that drinking water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach purifies the body’s internal system. An especially important result of this treatment is that it cleanses the colon, which makes the body much more able to absorb nutrients from food.
The water treatment method is as follows:
1. Right after waking up in the morning, drink about (1) 8oz glass of fluoride-free water. If you’re drinking water from a faucet, chances are it’s inevitable. Other options are distilled water (make sure to add minerals back into the water, including some baking soda for alkalinity) and reverse osmosis. You must do this upon waking and on an ‘empty stomach.’
2. Do not eat or drinking for 45 minutes after drinking the water. After 45 minutes has gone by, you’re free to eat and drink as you please.
3. Drink a cup of water half 1/2 hour before meals. Drink again 2 hours after each meal.
4. Feel your health start to improve.
According to the Japanese Medical Society, this treatment would take 10 days to treat constipation, 10 days to treat some gastric issues, and 30 days to treat high blood pressure.
Here are a few hard facts about the benefits of water to help motivate you to drink at least a 8oz glass first thing in the morning:
1. It jump starts up your metabolism. Drinking at least one large glass of water first thing in the morning, has been shown to rev up your metabolism by a whopping 24% for 90 minutes.
2. You’re dehydrated when you wake up! After 7-8 hours of sleep, chances are, you wake up dehydrated in the morning. Drinking water, helps make new muscle and blood cells, and can increase the flow of oxygen, all of which are energizing.
3. Water helps your body flush out toxins. “Your kidneys do an amazing job of cleansing and ridding your body of toxins as long as your intake of fluids is adequate”, according to Kenneth Ellner, an Atlanta-based dermatologist. Getting fluids into your body right after your wake up will help your body flush out toxins first thing in the morning.” Flushing out the toxins and impurities is even easier when you add fresh lemon to your glass, since lemon can increase the rate of urination, allowing for maximum enzyme function and helping to detoxify the liver.
4. Your brain tissue is 75% water. When you’re not properly hydrated, your brain operates on less fuel, and you can feel drained, or experience fatigue or mood fluctuations.
5. You’ll eat less. One study showed that people who drink a glass of water before every meal lost 4.5 pounds over a three-month period, because “it fills up the stomach with a substance that has zero calories”, and people “feel full as a result”.
6. Immunity. As cold and flu season comes around the corner, it’s vital to up your intake of water. If you tend to get sick often, you might not be drinking enough H20. Staying hydrated can maintain the health of your lymphatic system—which directly affects how your body fights off infections. Studies have also shown that lack of water in the body—dehydration—can cause increased cortisol levels, stress, and sickness.
The truth here is, that water, is not a miracle cure. But, since we humans are mainly comprised of water (72%), it makes sense that keeping it hydrated and active, can work wonders for your health. And, it’s estimated that 75% of us are in a chronically dehydrated state. There’s tons of research out there that supports the fact that most of us live in a chronically dehydrated state and that drinking a couple of glasses of water in the morning can change our lives at the cellular level and work wonders for our body and mind.